Sunday, March 28, 2010

Welcome to my garden




Welcome to my garden!

My husband and I have a 1/4 acre block in Canberra and with this we are trying to achieve a great number of things. With a 1 year old and a 3 year old, play space is a must, somewhere to entertain when we have friends over is useful, but what I spend the most time doing outside at home is pottering in and around the vegie gardens.

Over the past few years my vegie garden has grown, from one 1.5 x 3 metre bed to around 40 square meters of kitchen garden. This is greatly thanks to my gorgeous non pyjama gardening husband, his faith in my vision and his muscles! We are currently growing beans (4 varieties), corn, pumpkin (4 varieties), lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, onions, beetroot, carrots, radish, tomatoes (4 varieties), eggplant, chili, potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus, herbs and companion planting flowers.

Seeing my children garden along side me, or stop playing for a bit to munch on some strawberries, beans or broccoli is the real reason why I garden. Their knowledge about growing their own food is wonderful, and eating from the garden tastes so much better! If they grow it, they'll eat it!

PJG

No comments:

Post a Comment