Saturday, August 7, 2010

Stephanie Challenge update

Yesterday I sowed some seeds for chinese cabbage, or Pak Choi, so I have made a start on growing my Asian Greens. I will have to check out some favourites of gardening friends and see what else I should put is as it is just at the beginning of the planting season now.

Asparagus. Yay! I actually already have 5 asparagus plants that I put in last year. Although they shouldn't be harvested in their first year, I did cut a few delicious stalks, so I am really looking forward to this year when I can cut more for harvest. Yum.

Next in Stephanie's book is Bananas. I would love to grow a good cavendish, although I believe that firstly they do not tolerate frost, and secondly there are strict rules about non-farmers growing cavendish. Apparently growing lady finger bananas do not have the same strict rules, although we still have the frost issue. I'm not sure if this is one that we can find a solution for as my green house is not big enough to fit a whole banana tree!

Basil. I have grown basil with great success in the past and look forward to growing it again this year, and for the first time from my own collected seeds. I love the smell of basil and the taste in both fresh and cooked foods. I can hardly wait for my home made pasta sauces and pesto again...

Bay. I actually have a Bay tree. A very small one, perhaps only 30cm high. I had wanted a bay tree, but when my husband inquired as to how big they grow - if I recall correctly it is around 5 meters - he wasn't big on the idea. I did discover that if pruned regularly they make a good hedge and stay small and are quite slow growing. So I have had my little potted bay for 6 months or so now. Being so small, only really special dishes get a fresh bay leaf in them and there is still a pack of dried bay leaves in the spice cupboard.

And last one for today is beans. I currently have broad beans in the garden which are still rather small but they should produce a bumper crop again this year. I didn't save seeds from last year's crop so I will have to remember to this year. Last season I also grew blue lake, purple king and bortolli beans, all of which I have saved seeds for planting when the weather warms up. I think I'll grow the blue lake and purple king again, although the variety of bortolli were drawf and I thought were a waste of space when I have so much vertical room! Do bortolli beans come in a climbing variety? More research to be done.

Signing off from the pyjama gardener and her pyjama clad gardening children...

No comments:

Post a Comment