Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rocket envy

Here is to a year without rocket envy. Last year I grew rocket, as I have done for several years. With its peppery flavour a few leaves was all that was needed to spice up a salad.

A year or so ago we were dining at a friend's house and were served a delicious rocket salad. My husband was quite impressed. He loved it. In fact, he commented a number of times how good that rocket salad was.

Well, I started to feel a little jealous of his comments about how my friend's rocket was better than mine! So, swallowing my pride, I asked her for a couple of sprouting plants or a handful of seeds.

And this year, I can have a Summer of salads without rocket envy, for now I am also growing the lovely subtly flavoured variety of wild rocket.

There are several different varieties of rocket, the very peppery standard rocket and the more subtle wild rocket, named for its wild growth habit. If you are looking at growing rocket for salads, I'd definitely recommend finding the wild rocket, and avoiding your own rocket envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment