Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dinner vegies

With the vast number of pumpkins that we have at the moment I have been including pumpkin in many meals. Perhaps one of my favourite ways to prepare pumpkin at the moment is tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and spring onion and roasted. Simple but so very tasty. We have prepared pumpkin this way using the Jap, Butternut and Golden Nuggets and it is delicious with all of them!

Last night we had pumpkin, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, red spring onions and carrots prepared this way, making a sort of roast vegetable salad - the cherry tomatoes were especially delicious! We served this with steamed beans and corn, along side our versions of 'surf and turf' (fish for me, steak for my husband, cutlets for the kids). I love meals where all the vegetables come from our garden, I feel such a sense of pride in our meal and our garden.

It used to be that occasionally we would be pointing out the vegetables in the meal that were from the garden "these are the beans that we grew" (helpful when getting littlies to try new veg), now we point out what is not "only the meat and pasta is not from the garden..." (and now the littlies eat all veg grown from the garden without question or hesitation!) I love it!

PJG

No comments:

Post a Comment