Thursday, April 1, 2010

Eco paper pots

Yesterday's potter in the garden was very productive, with children who were helpful and excited to get out into the wet mulch.

We had lots of fun making pots with the new wooden eco pot maker that I purchased over the weekend. I have made paper pots before, out of an old Yellow Pages, but the hand crafted paper pots dried out easily and I had trouble making a flat base.

I had been thinking about how to achieve a larger pot with a flat base and then I came across this kit. It is basically a wooden cylinder which the paper is rolled around, overhang at the bottom is folded over and then pressed and turned in a wooden cap on the bottom which secures it into place. The bottom cap and cylinder are then removed and you are left with a flat bottomed pot!
I think that I might be on to a winner. Here are the new ones with tiny lettuce growing in them.

My girl was very helpful in the making of pots, even making some herself without any help! She then chose some seeds out of the seed box and has sown some sugar snap peas - because she can either eat them whole or shell them, depending on how she feels :)

PJG

No comments:

Post a Comment