Friday, June 17, 2011

Slow progress but the turnip swedes are good


The start of winter means slow progress in the garden.  The patch is slowly taking shape, with good winter plants, such as kale, broccoli, mustard spinach, coriander and lettuce growing nicely.  We have also put in some other perennial herbs, garlic, onion and prepared the soil for peas and sweet peas.  The chickens are loving the patch and are back to laying an egg each a day, which is a nice treat for winter!

In my own yard I have more of the same with the addition of carrots and turnip swede that are at picking stage.  My children have even taken to the swede.  We discovered that when not prepared properly they are really not very nice, but with a little knowledge and correct preparation, they are so delicious we all want more!

I was a little worried when I cooked up my first picking and I didn't like them, thinking 'but we have so many still growing... does that mean we have to eat them...'.  I then saw them being prepared on Masterchef, with a lot more of the outside peel being removed than I had.  What a difference it makes. I think of it now as 'double peeling' and I run the peeler over them twice, blanch then bake in butter. Yum. I think I know what's for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment