Saturday, June 2, 2012

English muffins

It is wet and dreary here. With working bees planned and things to do outside, the rain has put a dampener on some of our plans.

But when it is cold and wet, it feels like good baking weather. Today I thought I'd try something that I haven't made before. English muffins.

You know the kind, flat buns that you split in two and toast in the toaster.

I was actually surprised how easy they were. I put the warm milk (225ml), soft butter (55g), flour (450g), yeast (2tsp), salt (1tsp) and sugar (1tsp) in the breadmaker to make the dough. Then I gave it a quick knead and patted it flat before cutting out circles with a cookie cutter (a bit like making scones). I sprinkled a little polenta over them and cooked in an oiled pan on low heat for 7 minutes each side.

I would post a picture, but they were eaten before they cooled because they were just so good. They were so simple too, I don't know if I'll buy English muffins from the store again!

No comments:

Post a Comment