Friday, May 3, 2013

Planting asparagus seeds

I'm pretty excited this year to have a female asparagus plant.

I bought a few plants last year, as I had the year before, and the year before that. The spears are not supposed to be harvested in the year following planting, so we have only tasted a few over the past few years.

Not knowing whether or not I could successfully grow asparagus held me back from buying plants in bulk to start with, but now I am wondering whether I should just go all out and plant a whole lot so I can get a decent harvest.

This is where the excitement of the female plant comes in. I now have a plant with berries and seeds, and if what I know about seeds holds to be true, these seeds should lead to the growing of new asparagus plants.

I have given it a shot and planted out some of the berries into pots. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment