Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's day today. I had a day spent out doors with mothers in my family. Breakfast was mine, with beautiful, tasty pancakes made by my husband and children (actually not outdoors as our outdoor setting was borrowed by my mother in law for her lunch). I did get to potter in my own garden for a bit, in pyjamas and slippers :) The temperature was still low, but the morning sunlight warmed my back as I relaxed and enjoyed my space.

Morning tea - more of the traditional Mother's Day breakfast from my own childhood. We had croissants on a sunny deck with my mum as my children explored the yard. Mum will be moving closer to us soon - I am excited about the possibilities that it will open up and the closeness and support that will be achieved from this.

Lunch with my Nan, Mum and Aunts. Once again outside. Beautiful Autumn air, colourful changing leaves and the warmth of the midday sun.

After lunch I joined my husband and children with his extended family who also had finished lunch and were settling into coffee, cake and outside play. Bustling with people, it was vibrant with play and conversation.

As the sun's glow was cast behind the trees and the afternoon chill setting in, we made our way home. With tired children and a day spent outdoors, my boy came over to me. "Cuddle Mummy". Scooping him into my arms and a kiss on the forehead, he was asleep.

My Mother's day afternoon was not spent outside gardening as I had imagined. Instead I was cuddled on the couch with sleeping boy in arms and girl by my side. Gardening is one thing I love to do with and for my children, and plan to do for many years to come. But sleeping cuddles is a very limited occurrence, with opportunities dwindling.

As I type, my children play happily together and the smell of a gorgeous dinner cooked by my husband wafts to me, beaconing me into the evening. I feel so happy to have such wonderful people in my life, and that two of them call me "Mum".

No comments:

Post a Comment