Thursday, May 6, 2010

Olives


This past weekend my Mum and I got out the ladders and picked a tub full of olives. My littlies had lots of fun helping us pick the plump black olives, tossing them into the tub and squeezing them until their hands were stained purple. Fortunately they didn't squash too many and we rescued a fair amount of olives ready for curing.


This year we decided to split the olives between us and try curing them different ways. We have slit some and pressed others, then are leaching out the bitterness in one lot with plain water, one lot with salted water and one lot is dry salted.

I really like the process of preparing foods, such as drying and jam making, although this is the first time that I have tried curing. I'm looking forward to tasting the results! Perhaps if we get a good result we might find a spot for an olive tree in our yard...

No comments:

Post a Comment