Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Made it?"

With a new year starting soon and with it assessing the past year and new year resolutions, with career changes and moves for some family and friends, I have been questioning what it means to have "made it" in life.

I have a job, and I think the money is reasonable for the part time hours that I work. I have some aspirations, but more about being better at what I'm currently doing rather than promotion. My employer must think I'm worth it too as they've given me a scholarship to complete my Masters.

Between my husband and I, we earn enough to fund our lifestyle and manage some savings.

We have plenty of things... Probably not all of the things that I want, but definitely more than we need...

I have family and friends that I love and they love me. I am lucky enough to spend the majority of my time doing things that I enjoy - activities with family and friends, my garden, cooking, arts and crafts, music...

I may not be rich or famous, but I am thankful every day for the wonderful life that I have.

I think "making it" is like a garden, really. Growing, blooming, fruiting and providing enjoyment and nourishment. Even when one crop is over, the empty space that is left is simply a reminder of what good thing was once there and an opportunity - an opening - for another. A state of mind.

In my mind, I've made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment