Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas!

This Christmas my kids got some fun presents, but one thing that I thought was really fantastic was a packet of seeds each. What a great thing to give. They change and grow everyday (well, once they shoot) and provide entertainment. The seeds are for sunflowers so they will bring birds into the yard and inspire bird watching. I love it.

And this week...

I thought I'd save time and apply the Seasol with one of the 'click onto the hose' type sprayers. Seemed like a great idea... I hadn't used it for a year, preferring to use a watering can, and the connector wasn't working so well which meant that I got the Seasol sprayed on the garden super quick, but also all over my shoes!

I think the watering can is the better bet.

I have more tiny carrot seedlings coming up, but I sowed a back up row in another bed just in case. I cut back the chives (snail's love hiding in my chives) and have covered them with a frame to stop the chickens. Fingers crossed.

Tiny pea shoots are coming up, but I haven't put the beans in yet. The purple king beans that I have in at the moment are producing great beans, so I really must get some more in so I don't get a non productive time between plantings like I'm getting with the peas.

I picked a nice little bowl of blueberries today which was great. The garden highlight of the week was definitely opening the lid to the laying box and finding our first egg from the hens. I believe that we have happy chickens and now they are getting mature enough, they are rewarding us. Thank you, little hens.

And what for the coming week?

With rain forecast for the next few days, I'm not sure I'll be doing much. Tidying up, harvesting as we need (zucchini, beans, onions, squash and cucumber being the main crops) and putting in the odd plant or sprinkle of seeds. And the kids sunflower seeds, how could I forget! Better get them in before it gets too late in the season.

Relaxing week ahead. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment