Thursday, December 16, 2010

The start of Summer in the garden.

This past week in my garden I have picked my first blueberries and boysenberries for the season (shh, don't tell the kids). I have pulled out the broad beans and decided not to bother planting them again next year, they are time consuming to prepare and we really don't eat them.
I have harvested half my garlic and picked my first ever squash. I have seen my first zucchini and cucumbers appearing, ready to pick in just a few days. I have seen my artichoke produce flower buds. What a week!

And what does this coming week hold?

Liquid seaweed diluted to the colour of weak tea on all the beds to build resilience and produce good crops. Repeat sowing of beans and sugar snap peas is needed, especially as my peas were so beaten around by the rain.
All my carrot crops have sprouted and then been eaten right off so I'll try once again with some better snail protection. I have pulled out most of my lettuce recently too, so I'd like to get more seedlings in, or perhaps I'll sow some seed that I collected last year.

And in your garden?

The essentials for a Summer garden that I'd suggest are a couple of tomato plants (provide a good stake); some basil plants; spring onions (just sprinkle the seeds over a defined patch, cover lightly with soil and keep moist); corn (but remember it is wind pollinated, so needs to be planted in a block and doesn't grow well in pots); peas and/or beans (need a frame to climb up - try growing it up your corn!); and just to fill in the gaps - pumpkins, whether Atlantic Giants or Golden Nuggets, pumpkins would have to be a favourite thing of mine to grow.

Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment