Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grug and I have a lot in common

Recently I bought a copy of 'Grug and his garden' by Ted Prior. I fondly remember Grug books from when I wad a child and I see now how the simplicity is appealing.

In this story Grug has his garden but realises that something is eating his cabbages. He goes out at night with his torch and discovers a snail is to blame. The next day he plants enough cabbages for himself and the snail.

I'm with his way of thinking. I just wish I only had one snail to worry about!

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried snail pellets available at the supermarket PG? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a thought, Dave. But with those pecking chickens, visiting dogs and small children around, I much prefer the organic options. To be honest, I haven't had much trouble with snails till this year. Perhaps, they have just discovered how good it is and are breeding like crazy...

    My philosophy, like In the Grug book, is along the lines of growing enough for me and the natives of my yard. It doesn't mean that I don't protect my seeds and seedlings though! I use crushed up egg shells, coffee grinds, milk bottle closhes, wire frames and even the occasional beer or vegemite trap. I think this year I wasn't prepared for the destructive force of the chickens and their ability to move my barriers. Rather than just needing one form of protection, I am needing several!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snails, birds, possums, chickens - you are sharing your garden with quite a few others! Wait until the rabbits find out what a great place it is!

    ReplyDelete