Saturday, April 16, 2011

Garlic planting time

Remember the strange little garlic clove things growing up the stems of some of my garlic? Well it's garlic planting time, so they are going in the ground today. I'm also putting in some regular garlic cloves, and a few days ago I separated out the new plants that were growing for the heads that I left in the ground.

The other bowl has little onions that are sprouting. They were from my garden, but they are going back in. We can use the growing tips as salad onions and the bulbs will actually divide and give me more onions. How clever!

2 comments:

  1. PG, I have trouble getting my head around the things you grow and the times you plant them. Here in Hamilton, NZ those times are way out! Here it is traditional to plant garlic on the shortest day, which is a while away yet! And other things you are growing would just die of the cold. And yet Canberra isn't too far north of us. Your climate must be very different - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I would have thought that our climates would be pretty similar. We have a cool to temperate climate here and you are more of a temperate climate, right? If I'm getting it right, that would make it about the same or cooler here in Canberra.

    I put my garlic in around April or May and harvest around Christmas. The longer they are in the ground, the bigger the garlic bulbs and they tolerate our frosty winters quite well.

    Maybe try feeding up the soil, pick a sunny spot and try something different this winter. It may just grow beautifully! I'm trying tuscan kale for starters.

    PJG

    ReplyDelete