Thursday, April 7, 2011

Our community garden

Recently we had a brilliant idea. It was warmly welcomed by our neighbours and it has got me planning and thinking.

We are going to set up a three way community garden with two of our neighbours! I have more gardening in me than space to garden. My neighbour has more space in her yard than she cares to think about and an interest, but little knowledge of vegetable gardening.

My Mum is over the fence as well. She is, of course, my inspiration to start gardening. She ignited the gardening spark, so to speak. (And I think I still have my copy of the children's gardening book "Gardening is easy when you know how")

Together we are planning more of a free form permaculture garden, each with gates into the yard. I suppose it is really my husband and my brain child, but I am looking forward to all of us enjoying the space and the produce!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I noticed someone has made tentative guerilla efforts to start a community garden on my nature strip. You're inspiring me to join the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get in on it! I have heard of the nature strip gardens around your part of the world. I think the advise that I heard was to put up as sign saying something like "we are happy to share, please knock and ask us first".

    An excellent use of space, and can look quite nice with flowering herbs and coloured fruits/vegetables and leaves.

    Let me know how it goes, D-rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good idea PG. So long as you don't get left carrying the baby? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing how your Community garden progresses! Please update us. We have wild passionfruit currently growing over our backfence and luckily (for us) it is an empty lot, so we kind of have our own community garden :) Well, we might have to share them with the neighbours to qualify for the title...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave - I'm looking forward to this garden and prepared to most of the gardening. I am so grateful for the extra land to garden on. For us to move to a larger block for me to have that kind of extra space is pretty much out of the question, so for me this is the best of both worlds. Garden and people to share it with.

    GKJ - I'm jealous of your passionfruit! We only have one flowering vine and they need a pollination partner so we haven't had any fruit. Hopefully next year our new vines will flower and we'll get fruit!

    ReplyDelete