Sunday, October 28, 2012

At the home improvement store...

I needed to swing by my local home improvement store this morning and I had the opportunity to do so without my children.  As I drove into a car park that was clearly packed to overflowing, I was happily surprised to get a park with relative ease, as the first aisle I drove down had a car leaving.  It was right up the back of the lot, but without children the wander through the carpark was almost pleasant.  The sun was shining, the smell of the fundraising BBQ wafted through the air and the almost comical scene of people trying to fit their purchases in and on their vehicles when it appeared hardly possible was happening in every aisle that I walked down.

Despite a very busy store, my shopping was efficient and took minimal time with no child-led tangents into different sections of the store or negotiations about the playground or purchase of sausages.  I didn't buy more than I was out to buy and I had enough time and space to consider the correct items to buy. This shopping without children has something going for it!

The shopping trip had been quite nice, until I was actually leaving the car park.  I pulled out of my space and I could see the exit, just one carpark intersection away.  This is when the full effect of the busy home improvement centre took place.  I sat at that intersection for 10 minutes waiting for a break so I could cross.  I was chaotic!  There were cars and people everywhere and it seemed that they were all going across my path.  When there was a break in the flow of cars, a stream of people were  crossing on the pedestrian crossing instead.   It was like watching ants funneling in and out of an anthill, and all I could do was sit and wait my turn.  It was kind of eye opening watching the constant stream, looking at so many people and cars.  So many projects were happening in peoples' homes and it is the perfect time of year to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment