Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Everything is happening at once...

It has been a very busy month in our house. While work hasn't completely taken me away from the garden, it has allowed less time for blogging. I have finished one big project now, and the weather is celebrating accordingly with gorgeous gardening weather.

This is a picture from in the shared vegie patch. It is coming into its second warm weather season, and the 'free or cheap' method is starting to pay off. We allowed plants to go to self seed, and I am in the process of moving the plants or seedlings into suitable spots. As you can see, the chard is going strong and giving a plentiful supply; we have enjoyed 'spinach' pie twice in the last two weeks.

I have planted a batch of potatoes that were unearthed from our children's garden bed when I was turning it over. I thought I had collected all of the gorgeous purple potatoes that they grew, but there must have been a few rogue spuds in there, because we managed to plant out 5 rows in the patch!

The herbs are looking delightful and even though there is far more than the three house holds need, they look pretty and smell lovely.

Inside, the windows at overflowing with plants in window pots. I love having them inside, even though they could equally be in the green house for frost protection. Unfortunately, they are getting quite big (well, I suppose that should be fortunately!), so the window adornments will soon be in the greenhouse or planted out into the garden. My children have taken ownership and pride in these plants from when they scattered the seeds and lovingly covered them in soil, so they will no doubt be very excited about the big 'plant out'.

And my garden... Well it is coming along slowly. More time and more sunshine will certainly help. I'm looking forward to the weekend already!

No comments:

Post a Comment