Saturday, October 20, 2012

Evenings in the garden

The warmer weather and start of daylight savings has given us more time available for gardening. When eating dinner outside, the garden is so inviting, calling us for a potter and a plant. Seeds are going in several times a week and meals are containing more of our home grown produce.

I can only hope that there is not going to be another frost before summer, but to safeguard, all frost tender plants are still in the green house or inside. Everything is starting to take off with gusto and I'm remembering the joy of warm weather gardening.

Right now, we are harvesting lots of lettuce, asparagus, carrots, radish, broccoli, snow peas and an array of herbs. It seems like at this time of year there are new varieties to start harvesting every few weeks!

The nectarine has masses of little buds and the apple has some buds and flowers. The raspberries have taken over the bed that they are in, and I am expecting a huge harvest this year. The strawberries, boysenberries and blueberries are flowering... I think we may not have enough freezer space to store the excess, so I may venture back into jam making this year. The little quince and cherry are a few years off getting fruit, but just having them there is exciting.

So I am thankful for my evenings in the garden and the serenity and sense of balance that they bring to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment