Sunday, January 2, 2011

Seeds for Christmas

Well this week the rain that I thought was coming didn't come and then the weather heated right up! I'm glad we just had our evaporative cooling serviced as we have turned it on for a bit over the last few days.

My sister sent seeds as part of her present to my littlies as well, so now we have a few different seeds to sow in the bare patches of their garden beds. This needs to be a staggered process because we need to have a few lattes and milkshakes first- I need the milk bottles to make covers for the seeds! I have discovered how vulnerable seeds are to attack by the chickens and how the new shoots are quickly gobbled up by the snails and slugs... A plastic bottle with the lid removed and bottom cut off placed over the top helps, and sprinkled crushed egg shells or coffee grinds help with the snails, but not chickens.

Seed sowing needs to be done in the cool of the evening and we planted out a few last night, but have saved some to sow later when we have more covers.

This week we also tasted our first home grown raspberries! Yum! Oh, and I finally sowed another lot of beans, "Blue Lake" this time.

I also tidied up a bit in the garden, pruning and weeding, etc. Good to get some done, but there is plenty more to go. I keep putting off pruning off the strawberry runners, not for any reason really, just it hasn't been at the top of my list. I'd better put it up there and get it done.

This week's list...
- Prune strawberry runners to discourage energy into new plants and encourage further berry production.
- Tidy tomato plants, big rambling plants are more prone to diseases, so I'll tidy them up a bit.
- Seasol again as it's growth time.
- I might harvest a few potatoes thus coming week (bandicoot them!)
- and to pick and eat my first home grow artichoke!

Happy gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment