Friday, August 12, 2011

My, how we learn...

As the first glimpse of colour emerges from my flowering bulbs, I have been think how my skills as a gardener have grown.

Looking at my ornamental gardens, somewhat disheveled through the dreariness of Winter, I think of how they started. Years ago, my mum gave me several bags of bulbs extracted from her own garden. I think she actually had a chuckle when saw bulbs started sending up green shoots then flowering. I had planted them rather neatly in rows. It looked totally wrong.

Despite my Mum's flair for garden design, I had produced a garden which looked a little strange. As they have set more bulbs and I continue to move and fill spaces they look much more naturalised.

I have learnt so much over the years through trial and error, and most importantly through a great network of fellow gardeners. And I still have much more to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment