Monday, August 22, 2011

Planting potatoes

I don't know what my fascination with potatoes is. We eat them maybe once or twice a week. But I get so excited about growing them.

So I have chitted my potatoes and today I have planted some if them out. We prepared the soil by giving it a good dig over to make it nice and loose and crumbly. My boy and I then had a great time digging out the furrows, like rows of 'dirt castles' and moats in front.

Then the exciting part. The laying out of the spuds. This year I have 7 varieties, for interest and trying new things. I was particularly impressed with the nicola potatoes last year, so we definitely have some more of those in.

A gentle brush of soil on the top, leaving more to cover over the shoots when they sprout through, and there we go.

I still have some more to go in the patch, which we'll probably put in on the weekend, once we work out where to put them!

No comments:

Post a Comment