Friday, May 4, 2012

Autumn in Canberra

People complain about Canberra weather. I probably do too at times. But mostly I love it. When you know what it is like here and expect it, you learn to enjoy it. I suppose that comes for really loving the city that I live in, and the life that I have made for myself here.

Today is a typical Autumn day here in Canberra. A frost over night and brisk morning air. Already I can feel the warm sun on my shoulders. A five-layer drive to work becomes a two-layer lunch time. Canberra has the climate for layering clothes and I like layering.

It's at this point in the season - the first big frost - that a shift happens. All of the jobs that I should have done, well, it's probably too late. Direct seed sowing now means slow germination and growing. The remaining tomatoes have probably frozen on the plants. Frost tender plants have been exposed to the elements and suffer for it. I know to expect this, as it is part of living here. And I know to do everything I wish I could in the garden, I'd probably have to dedicate many more hours to it every week (and something else would have to give to make that time).

I have a grand vision for my garden, and maybe one day it will be there, and maybe one day the plans will change. But for now, the time that I get out here and the produce that we harvest and eat make my garden my happy place. Especially with my family around me and even in the frosty cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment