Sunday, May 6, 2012

Potato farmer

We were out in the garden when my 3 year old asked me how potatoes grow. I was sure that we had explored this multiple times already, but who am I to pass up a learning opportunity?

We yanked out a few potato plants that had come up of their own accord, shaking off the dirt and collecting the tubers. My son carefully placed the potatoes in his 'potato pockets' until he could fit no more.

We then got out a bowl of water and a scourer and sat on the back step while he scrubbed the potatoes ready for dinner. He was so proud of his bowl of freshly picked and scrubbed potatoes that I promised to cook them for dinner.

And that's when I realised, perhaps I'd been had...? Freshly picked potatoes usually means a meal where the potatoes 'shine' in their potatoey-ness; oven baked chips or baked potatoes are favourites. And oven baked chips (a definate favourite of my boy) had been promised for dinner.

I have to give him credit, he did work hard for those chips, but next time I'll know what he's up to when he asks to see how a potato grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment