Friday, May 4, 2012

House work day

I quite enjoy house work day.  It's not that I enjoy the house work, but I do enjoy my house when it is tidied and cleaned.  My children try to help at times and it can mean more work for me in the end (such as when they wash the dishes), but I suppose that is part of the process of kids learning to clean.

What I like most is the day at home.  The time spent pottering.  The weeding or planting between hanging out loads of washing as I contemplate the perennial issue of not having enough pegs.  Singing to my favourite tunes as the stem mop creates a sparking clean floor.  Enjoying the view of the back yard, and often children playing in the garden and/or mud ("wash yourself off before walking on the floor - I just steam mopped it!") as I wash the dishes and clean the kitchen.  Folding washing straight off the line into our own baskets so that I can stay outside just a little longer... I could probably get the house work done in half the time if I didn't potter, but then I wouldn't enjoy the day nearly as much.  My 3 year old son is a real 'home body', so he is quite content to play and potter with me.

It helps to slow down the pace of our lives, in contrast to the days at work and the running around with errands.  It is a selfish day when we aren't very social, instead we take time to be grounded at home, take a breather and then, when we are finished or have run out of time, relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment