Sunday, January 23, 2011

I'm growing milk bottles

This past week, or is it two, I don't think I have done that much in the garden. With the heat increasing and making gardening during the day unpleasant, it has just been the urgent things and watering that have been done. We did have one lovely evening in the garden after dinner where we got some good tidying up done, but it meant a late night for the kids and lots of mozzie bites.

I did get around to seaweed fertilising, but of course it just about time to do that again. This time was with the watering can and much easier with great little helpers, so even though it took longer I think it is the better option.

The seeds that were sown a few weeks ago in the kid's garden and in the vegie patch have sprung up quite nicely and I'm feeling successful at seed sowing again.

I have learnt the hard way about chickens in the freshly sown seeds, as the eat the seeds and have a dust bath in the soil... So temporary chicken wire went up around the beds and milk bottles over the seeds to protect them from snails. It seems to have worked a treat!

I have had such trouble getting baby corn/ popping corn to grow, with a combination of seed tray drying out, snails, chickens and I suspect some rotted in the ground with all if that rain that we had a little while ago. But my last attempt was a success! Finally, and just in the nick of time too, last chance to get corn in so it matures before the frost may have already past.

In Canberra we generally think the first frost will lay around ANZAC day, although last year I think it was a few weeks later, if memory serves me right.

No comments:

Post a Comment